January 10, 2008

Target Mail Boxes

I finally got my hands on some of the $1 Mailboxes from Target that are so popular for altering right now. (The fact that my son works there was no help at all -- I had to scour every Target in the Chicago metropolitan/suburban area to find these myself!) Anyhooooo, I finally managed to find some. I rejected the pink and red ones, but picked up several of these white ones.
For those of you who are dying to get your hands on these, I thought it might help put your cravings at ease by telling you IMHO these are way too much work in terms of measuring and cutting paper to cover all the different sides of this thing. One will be enough for me!
My first attempt included applying alcohol inks onto the mailbox as I knew I didn't want to have to do the paper covering thing. But as that one ended up in the garbage, I proceeded with the paper altering. In addition to my background paper and some self-adhesive ribbon I used for the edging, I decorated my mailbox with some Cavillini bird stickers. I left the the base of the flag plain as well as part of the rim of the mailbox as it is raised and hard to cover with paper. Plus when you put the end caps on you cannot really see it anyway.


I made these mini note cards which can go inside of the mailbox to make a nice gift. Here again I used Cavillini stickers in addition to the Bird Notes clear stamp set from Crafty Secrets and some Basic Grey paper. Now these I totally enjoyed making!

12 comments:

Mary O.K. said...

Louise! This whole project is exquisite! You can tell just by looking at it that the mailbox construction is fussy, so to add all the detail would be hard work.

Thanks for heading me off from another regrettable impulse buy... I KNOW I would go nuts trying to do anything with one of the mailboxes now that I've seen a project that I love.

Mary O.K. said...

PS: Your blog's new colors, layout and display are all wonderful!

Jacqueline said...

OH it look soooo pretty!! I too love the cards, and bits and pieces to go into the mailbox - although as you said - one is enough! So be thankful you son couldn't help you!! LOL

Anonymous said...

Very cute! You changed your blog - like it!

Jacki Marie said...

I bought a few of these mailboxes because I really want to do something for my kids this year. Just curious, why did you throw away the one with the alcohol inks?

Tania said...

This is so gorgeous! You made it very beautiful!

Rika said...

This is gorgeous !!

Viola said...

Really gorgeous!! Love it all!

Vintage Papers said...

oh this is just darling! love the cards too!

Lisa Renéa said...

What a fabulous set! The mailbox has to be the sweetest one I've seen altered! The cards are beautiful!

Kris Dickinson said...

You out did yourself on this Louise! Gorgeous!

Sarosa said...

This is lovely! I really like your color selection!

I would also like to know why you threw away the one with alcohol inks; I was planning to use them myself for a mailbox.