November 25, 2009

Gothic Arch Challenge

It took a bit of time to finish the Gothic Arch challenge this week which was to create a shrine. I'm ahead of the holidays here with my Valentine's Day box, but here it is anyway:) I altered the box I had to create an arch at the top.



Basic details: To create my shrine I used a book style box I had been saving for something just like this. I shaped the top of the front cover to create my arch. I applied a layer of gesso over the whole box.
Inside I pasted some book text. If you look closely, you'll see the word "disillusioned" at top which I thought went well with the theme. I then copied a vintage postcard (1915). I cut the sentiment from the postcard to use on the top of my Valentine's Box. My vintage postcard was then popped up over the text.
On the front I stamped some text and brick backgrounds. I added some German scrap roses and the pieces of my sentiment. Finally, I covered the whole box with a clear finish.
You can see all the other submissions at http://gothicarches.blogspot.com

16 comments:

BadPenny said...

wow ! that's fab. I've been thinking of doing one but can't find just the right box !

joy said...

Your shrine turned out so nicely - that is a great image!

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous shrine and so romantic!

I love that postcard and it did make me smile, especially little cupid with his spectacles on :)

Jean Franks Beck said...

Wow, Louise, this is fabulous! So many wonderful details!

Martina said...

This piece is just brilliant, fantastic, totally awesome, wow, what more can I say. Love it.

Ginger said...

Loved how the sweetness shows in your shrine love the image and your art work gorgeous & sweet!

Lynn Stevens said...

OMG ,Valentines already? You put me to shame!! I'm still struggling to get Christmas done.
I have to admit your box arch is just adorable.

Jann said...

This is cute and sweet, Louise--very clever, too!

vintage wil said...

Ohhh this is sooo lovely!!!

Sugar Lump Studios said...

Louise
this is such a precious shrine! I adore the images you selected and the vintage feel of it! gorgeous art!
I hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving today! :) gobble gobble!

Suzanne C said...

This is just too adorable and fantastic. I saw it in my reader earlier and didn't have time to peruse all the fun details! WOW!

kathy said...

Louise -- I am in love with this -- I have two papermache books I have been saving -- One for a HAlloween one (which didn't get made this Christmas and one for The Nativity story (not made yet either - Both those i got at a flea mkt -cheap -- but alas NOw because of your """ABSOLUTELY ADORABLE project __i need one for Valentines also -- Hmm also A bunny tale lurking in my brain -- MAkes me tired -- You are so inspiring - Trying to get back on track so I can Post in your challenges -- GREAT ideas --Have a Blessed Thanksgiving - Kathy - ga ♥

Anonymous said...

oh wow this is an amazing creation - love everything about it!

Effie said...

That is just fabulous!

jaine drake said...

It's just gorgeous.

Kris Dickinson said...

What a wonderful, adorable shrine Louise!